stuffed mushrooms are a staple at the thanksgiving table.i remember making them with my grandmother every year . it’s was hard not to eat the filling while making the stuffed mushrooms. which i always did who can resist bacon right. so now it’ my turn this year to teach my 8year old how to make stuffed mushroom . i hope you and your family enjoy this recipe and make it a tradition at your thanksgiving table as well.
- 24 mushrooms,(large, with stems)
- 6 oz of bacon or sausage can also be used
- 1/2 yellow onion (a large, finely chopped)
- 3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
3-4 TBSP of butter, plus extra as needed
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4-1/2 tsp garlic powder, to taste
pepper to taste
- Using kitchen shears, cut the bacon slices into pieces that are 1/4″ – 1/2″ in size. Cook over medium-low heat until evenly browned. Remove the cooked bacon from the skillet with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- While the bacon is cooking, carefully remove the stems from the mushrooms. and mince.
- Drain away all but 2 tablespoons of the rendered bacon fat. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and chopped up mushrooms. Stir occasionally while the mixture cooks until browned and tender. Remove from the skillet to a large bowl, let cool.
- Add the bread crumbs, , olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Ready to stuff them? Let your stuffing cool down a bit, line a thin cookie sheet with foil, and grease the foil lightly with olive oil (a tiny dab will go a long way!). Line up your mushrooms 1 inch apart and stuff! If you prefer your stuffing to be really crunchy, you can pack it in a towering mound a top the mushroom. if you prefer softer stuffing, which means when you stuff the mushroom, push it as far down into the mushroom as you can, and keep it level with the top of the mushroom.
Bake at 350 degrees F until the mushrooms turn golden brown, about 20 minutes. Notes
Depending on the size of your mushrooms and also how many mushrooms you snag for your stuffing, this recipe makes approx 24 stuffed mushrooms. Since they’re all sized differently in each package, this will vary a tad.