these are the first cookies i make with my grandmother along with the pinwheel cookies i will save those for another time.i love this recipe because it’s so versatile you can make the dough really whatever colors you want and also this dough would work for the pinwheel cookies and cutout cookie to.
i hope you enjoy this recipe
- 1⁄2cup butter, softened (no substitutes
- 1⁄2cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1⁄2cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1⁄2cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4teaspoon salt
- green food coloring (optional)
- red food coloring
- In a bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugars.
- Beat in milk, egg and extracts.
- Gradually add flour and salt.
- Set aside half of the dough.
Divide remaining dough in half; add green food coloring to one portion and red food coloring to the other.
- Wrap dough separately in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll ½ teaspoonfuls of each color of dough in to 3-inch ropes.
- Place each green rope next to a white rope; press together gently and twist.
- Repeat with red ropes and remaining white ropes.
- Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Curve one end, forming a cane.
- Bake at 350° for 11-13 minutes or until set.
- Cool for 2 minutes; carefully remove to wire racks.