- ⅔ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 packet (7 g) yeast
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup (83 g) potato starch
- ½ cup (80 g) brown rice flour
- ¼ cup (29 g) finely ground almond flour
- ¼ cup (34 g) tapioca starch plus more for flouring your surface
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- good quality plastic wrap for rolling out (and up!) the dough
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and lightly flour a pie plate.
- Combine yeast and sugar in large mixing bowl.
- Microwave milk and 1 tablespoon butter to approximately 110-115 degrees. Whisk into yeast mixture and set aside to proof.
- Meanwhile in small bowl whisk together potato starch, brown rice flour, tapioca starch, almond flour, baking soda, xanthan gum, baking powder, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Once yeast is proofed add in egg, oil, and ½ teaspoon vanilla. Mix for a moment and then slowly add in the flour mixture. Turn the mixer up to medium-high and beat for 1½ minutes – beating long enough is essential, GF flours are “thirsty,” the dough will thicken & lose it’s stickiness as you beat it.
- Roll out the dough this is a sticky dough that you’ll want to roll out to approximately a 13″ x 10″ rectangle. What I have found works best is covering my work surface with a good quality plastic wrap and then a light layer of tapioca starch. I place my dough in the center and cover with a bit more tapioca starch and another sheet (or two) of plastic wrap. Roll out to the needed size and then carefully peel off the top layer of plastic wrap.
- Using a knife or spatula gently spread the ⅓ cup softened butter over the dough evenly leaving ½” space around the edges.
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar & cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over dough.
- To roll your dough: start on one of the shorter sides and gently begin rolling your dough into a log form. Use the plastic wrap to help you “lift and roll” the dough as you go along. Try to make it a nice tight roll, however do not try to unroll it and re-do it. You’ll end up with a sticky mess.
- Sprinkle lightly with tapioca starch again. Dip a sharp knife into tapioca starch then cut the rolls into 8 pieces.
- Place the rolls, cut side down, in the prepared pie plate*. Cover with plastic wrap and a towel, place in a warm spot, and let them rise for 15 minutes.
- Bake 22-27 minutes until tops are golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in mixing bowl, beat 3 tablespoons softened butter, cream cheese, and powdered sugar until smooth. Beat in vanilla and a dash of salt.
- Drizzle over the tops of cinnamon rolls as soon as they come out of the oven.
*Night before preparation: Once the rolls are in the pie plate, cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge. In the morning set them out for at least 25 minutes before baking.