1 box (12.8 oz.) (about 13 cups)Â Rice Chex, Corn Chex Wheat Chex or Chocolate Chex cereal (or combination)
• 2 cups semisweet chocolate chip
• ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
6 tablespoons butter, cut into smaller pieces
• 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
• 2 cups powdered sugar
• 1 cup Holiday M&M’s
1. Line 2 baking sheets with wax paper and set aside. Pour cereal into a very large bowl; set aside.
2. In 1-1.5 quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter uncovered on High 1 minute; stir. Microwave 15-30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.
3. Add powdered sugar and gently stir into chocolate covered cereal. Spread cereal on the two baking sheets to cool. Once cool, put the Muddy Buddies into the desired container or gift bags, by adding a small amount of Muddy Buddies then sprinkle a few M&Ms and repeat.
4. Store in airtight container in the refrigerator.
This originally called for 1½ cups chocolate chips but I changed it due to feedback for more chocolate.
-Optional add-in ideas: pretzels, mini peanut butter cups, peanut butter M&M’s etc.
-If you prefer, you can toss the muddy buddies with the powdered sugar using a large paper bag or Ziploc bag. (In batches for the Ziploc bag.)