what a great idea for valentines day to make with the kids.
1 cup butter
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
3 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
4 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted
Vanilla Glaze (recipe below)
- Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with heavy foil, extending foil over edges of the pan. Butter the foil; set pan aside.
- In a heavy large saucepan, heat 1 cup butter and chocolates over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted and smooth. Set aside to cool slightly. In a medium bowl, stir together eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla. Stir into warm chocolate mixture; cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Fold flour mixture into chocolate mixture. Stir in pecans. Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until brownies appear shiny, begin to crack on top and appear set. (Do not overbake.) Cool in pan on a wire rack. Store, covered, in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours before serving.
- To serve, remove pan from refrigerator. Use foil to lift brownies out of pan. Cut brownies with 3-inch heart-shape cookie cutters.
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- In a small bowl, stir together powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. Stir in enough additional milk, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, to make glaze of drizzling consistency. Makes about 1/2 cup.
don’t forget the sprinkles they make everything better.