since my now 2 years olds birthday is around easter i wanted to stick with an easter pastel color theme purple, pink , white ,blue and yellow . i did two different colored jar cakes for her blue, purple,yellow and pink then i did pink, yellow , blue . i decided to due a jar cake because we would be going to grandma’s and it would be more travel friendly.
2 white cake mixes (follow the cake box directions) i used applesauce instead of using oil)
2 sticks of butter(softened)
4 cups of powdered sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons milk
sprinkles for decorating
For the frosting, i made a batch of Buttercream Frosting. It is super easy to make and so very delicious.
unicorn cake in a Jar is a unique and colorful take on a traditional cupcake.
what you need
- 2 boxes of White Cake Mix
- Mason Jars – Pint sized
- Best Buttercream Frosting
- Food Coloring
- Cookie Sheets
- Parchment Paper
- Cupcake Sprinkles
- Decorating Bags
- Decorating Tip
- Using a box of White Cake Mix, make the batter according to the directions on the box.
- Split the batter into four equal portions.
- Color the batter portions pink, yellow, purple and pink.
- Pour each of the batter portions into a small cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the cakes according to the directions on the cake mix box.
- Allow the cakes to cool.
- Make a batch of our Best Buttercream Frosting.
- To assemble the Cupcake in a Jar – add a layer of blue cake pieces on the bottom of the Mason Jar.
- Then add a circle of best buttercream frosting around the edge of the mason jar.
- Keep adding layers of cake and frosting – we added purple cake, then yellow cake and put the pink cake on the top.
- For the final layer of frosting, use a Wilton 2D Decorating Tip to make a pretty swirl of frosting.
- We topped our Springtime Cupcake in a Jar with sprinkles.
it was a very rain day so this photo is dark i had to go outside to take the others